Time: 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Location: Urban Shaman Gallery
Address: 203-290 McDermot Ave
City/Province: Winnipeg, Manitoba
CALL FOR Membership ARTWORK
18th Annual 50 to 500 Art Show and Sale
Member’s art drop-off deadline, no extension: Friday, October 21, 2022
We are opening up our gallery once again for public viewing for the 18th annual member’s show! We welcome all current and new members, Indigenous and non, to showcase your artwork in celebration of you and the change in season. Sell from 50 cents to $500.00 (or more) and 100% of the sale goes to the artist. We do ask that artists become a member to boost our membership numbers; donations from the sale of the sold work would be greatly appreciated but not necessary. There is a special sliding scale rate from $10 to our regular cost of $25.00 a membership. Memberships will be collected during the drop-off of artwork with a signed contract to be a part of this wonderful event.
MULTIMEDIA ARTISTS & PERFORMERS LOOK!!!
This year Urban Shaman is accepting artists who wish to share their work in any medium. This means multi-media, performance (10 mins max), video, and audio art during the opening night on First Friday, November 4, 2022 – this is a great opportunity for artists working in these realms to showcase their work. Urban does not pay artists fees for this event but we are able to document the performance and give that in lieu as support material.
– Artist must be a member in good standing. Please contact Outreach Coordinator Liz Garlicki firstname.lastname@example.org or go onto our website at urbanshaman.org to become a member.
– Drop off begins October 1 with a STRICT DEADLINE of October 21, 5 pm. No exceptions. Artists, please be organized and ready with the required information to label your work; 4 pieces maximum, dependent on size of the works.
– Artists do not have to sell artwork to show in this program.
– PERFORMERS wanting to showcase during the opening: Urban requires a short write-up of the work, and a brief artist biography, performance will be limited to 10 minutes maximum length. Technical specifications will be required in advance. We have a limited assortment for tech stuff… If we don’t have it you will need to supply it. Digital documentation of the night will be distributed after the event.
– 100% of the sale goes to the artist. The artist/member can choose to donate a percentage of the sale to gallery but it is not required. Please provide a price for your artwork if selling.
– Artwork MUST have clear identification either on the work or paperwork attached to the art with artist name, contact information, title, and price to sell.
– We ask that the artwork be ready for hanging or set up. Staff are not liable for damage if work is not equipped with proper hanging gear. If it isn’t, artists are free to come in and set up their artwork during installation.
– Artists and buyers MUST HAVE an E-Transfer account for receiving payment and/or purchasing work. URBAN SHAMAN IS NOT ABLE TO ACCEPT PAYMENTS for work of any kind. All arrangements of sales is the responsibility of the artist and their patron.
Submit the following when dropping off your work:
- Phone number:
- Social media platform info:
- Website (if applicable):
- Title of art:
- Year Made:
- A short Artist Bio (75 words):
- Brief artist statement of the work (75 words):
- Indicate if item is for sale or not:
- Price for each piece:
NOT AN ARTIST? WELL…You can still support Urban Shaman Contemporary Aboriginal Art Gallery by donating or becoming a member. Our year-round programming, in some ways, has been a benchmark for other organizations who may not focus year-round on Indigenous programming. In 1996 our gallery was founded by Indigenous artists who were underrepresented in Winnipeg, and since then Urban Shaman Gallery has worked with our art community locally, nationally and internationally with amazing Indigenous artists, allied organizations and we still continue to bring and support the voices of contemporary Indigenous work.
image description: an ornate gold frame. framed inside is a blue and gold plant motif in the arts & crafts vein and a red splatter haphazardly on top. text on top of that reads “50 to 500 18th annual member’s show” in yellow and blue.