The Indigenous Editors Association is seeking a part-time Administrative Assistant. The Admin Assistant will work remotely to assist our growing organization and support our projects and programming. This is an opportunity for a creative and enthusiastic individual who will play a significant role in the growth of the organization. We work in an open and collaborative environment guided by Indigenous values. We are seeking people who are excited to help us build and who care about community-based practices and Indigenous narrative sovereignty.
About the IEA
The Indigenous Editors Association is a membership organization that was formed by Indigenous editors and publishing professionals as a mutual support network. The IEA connects Indigenous people who work with stories with each other and with the publishing industry. We believe Indigenous stories and traditional knowledge must be approached with Indigenous community-focused editing practices, employed with care by Indigenous editors. Our purpose is to:
- Strengthen relationships among Indigenous editors, storytellers, and publishing professionals;
- Create opportunities for training and professional development for Indigenous editors;
- Promote Indigenous editors in the publishing industry; and
- Create educational opportunities for the mainstream publishing industry to learn about working with Indigenous editors.
Why Join Us
This is an opportunity to join a team of passionate individuals who are working to uplift Indigenous stories and storytellers. It’s an exciting time to join our organization. The organization is growing and expanding at a good pace, and we are eager to bring on new team members who can assist with the IEA’s operations and development. As the Administrative Assistant, you will play a crucial role in this growth. Your work will directly impact Indigenous editors and creatives by helping us cultivate connections, build community, and spread awareness.
Our community, Council, and team members span lands and cultures. Collectively, we believe Indigenous stories and knowledge systems must be approached with Indigenous community-focused practices, employed with care by Indigenous editors. We hope to share our stories in a good way with each other and the world—the stories that created us and the ones that heal us. By joining the IEA, you will be a part of this meaningful and impactful work.
Position: Administrative Assistant
Start date: August 2023
Term: 1 year with the possibility of renewal
Compensation: $26.00 CAD per hour
Hours: Part-time (16-20 hours per week)
About the Role
The Administrative Assistant will support the Executive Director with administrative and organizational duties. This is a dynamic and evolving role. The Administrative Assistant will have the opportunity to share and exchange ideas and build connections.
- Providing general support with email management, website, archiving/filing and data entry;
- Scheduling and attending internal and external meetings and events;
- Taking meeting notes and circulating relevant materials before and after;
- Inputting, archiving, filing and tracking data;
- Maintaining and updating the IEA’s website and social media accounts, as needed;
- Assisting with the creation and planning of social media content and communication/promotional materials;
- Managing the IEA’s Newsletter;
- Assisting with reporting.
Skills and Qualifications
- Able to work independently and collaboratively from home with your own computer/laptop;
- Experience with office administration, ideally in a non-profit environment;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Able to identify and analyze problems or areas for improvement and suggest solutions;
- Experience working with Indigenous individuals and communities;
- Demonstrates a commitment to discretion and confidentiality;
- Experience with G Suite, Microsoft Office, Excel, and Zoom;
The following skills and qualifications are desired and will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of and experience with QuickBooks or similar accounting software and practices;
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite, Creative Cloud or similar creative programs;
- Skills in archival practices and organization.
We support diversity and inclusion in our work. While we place a priority on hiring Indigenous people, we value employment equity and strongly encourage applications from all people; racialized people, people with disabilities, people who are neuro-divergent, all genders, and people from the LGBTQ2S+ community. If you require accommodation in the recruitment process, please notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Using the job title “Admin Assistant” as the subject heading, please send your Cover Letter and Resume or CV in a single PDF format by email to email@example.com
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We look forward to meeting you!
To apply for this job please visit indigenouseditorsassociation.com.